My friend Melissa and I got our yarn dyeing creds last night and early this morning.

Her main job: She is the master color mixer. She actually measured things. She then, wait for it, wrote the measurements down. I was in awe, as I am the queen of the rush job. I tend to just dump this and dunk that and hope really really hard that things are going to look okay, and most especially not be ugly).

My main job: last night was being the “Oh, go ahead and do it – it’s not our yarn” person. I think I was more supervisor than anything else lol. I flipped the yarn over, suggested color additions to make variations of the dye, oversaw the microwaving (you know how it is working somebody else’s microwave — “This always worked at my house, I don’t know what’s wrong with your microwave”), and pronounced it done.
The best thing ever: She worked out a sort of cranberry-colored dye for me to tint some laceweight I’d been obsessing over. Woo hoo! Thank you Melissa! The Mama Llama vino laceweight now has a sister laceweight with a cranberry base. It’s still variegated, and just a little deeper in tone than the original. I will do a bit of a swatch when it dries to see how the two skeins go together.
I had massive fear of failure for that particular dye effort going on. The first thing I tried to dye half blue half purple came out so blue, it hasn’t lightened up one bit. No matter what I add to it, it is still blue. Add some yellow. Blue. Add some more yellow.  Blue. Oh hell, since it’s blue, let’s try for purple. Add some blue violet. Navy Blue. Add some more blue violet. Blue. Screw it. I give up. lol
So Melissa took it on and got it to where I wanted it to be. She did a great job. I could totally see her giving a class on dyeing and color mixing. I am going to use the leftover dye on a skein of Bare Knitpicks laceweight sometime next week.

The second best thing ever: It is way cool how the color takes after you microwave yarn that’s been soaking in color for a little while. I thought more would end up going down the drain than staying in the yarn, but I was wrong. Again.

It has been washed, dyed, rinsed, scolded, scalded, drained, squeezed and hung to dry. In a few hours, it will be completely dry and I will do whatever it is you’re supposed to do to finished yarn. And post pictures later when the person we dyed the yarn for gets it.

This is more yarn I dyed last week, April 29 or so. Bare laceweight merino. I have to be a little more careful about temperature changes and how I get the dye on it; the merino really does stick together and felt if you squeeze it too much. This is seriously hard to separate. I want to get another 10 skeins or more so bad I can taste it; there are so many colors and styles I want to attempt.

Now just a quick look to make sure I typed dyed, not died, and dyeing, not dying,  all over this post like I keep doing on Ravelry. Those words may sound alike, but they are so not the same thing.