More poncho news

I made the larger size and it is fitting better and looking better, too.

Here’s what it looks like so far. I think I’m going to have to buy another 2 bundles of yarn, one light brown and one ecru.

It has been smooth sailing on getting a large part of the knitting done in the evenings. I watched Pride and Prejudice about 6 times in the past two weeks to give me good stuff to knit by.

Since the first attempt at the poncho, I have come up with some new ways of finishing yarn strands. I quit weaving them in so much because they were affecting the tightness of the material. Plus there were too many of them, even for me tying off as I went.

So I basically cut the strands less, and where I have to add on another strand, I would use a surgical tie to attach a new strand, leaving about 1/2 inch of excess. Then I would square knot the rest of the excess until they got too short to work with.

I also carried threads up to the next row where they’re needed if they’re about 14 rows away or less, making sure there’s a lot of slack so it will drape properly.

The excess strands wind up looking like the picture below. Using this method, I don’t worry about the thread breaking off as much, and the cut ends quit working their way through the material to the poncho’s right side. I only hope they continue to work that well after it’s washed and worn.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s