Feels like forever since I wrote in here

It’s only been a couple of months, but a lot has been happening since Jan. 12 knitwise.

East Meets West

I started the Knitpicks East Meets West bag after mentioning it in the Stash and Burn group on Ravelry. Another Raveler named toe said when I got ready to knit mine she’d like to do a KAL, which kind of got me excited to do it.

Then I came across a post by bogiebogie (one of my knit heroes…I don’t keep up with her enough since I never knitted the Juliet sweaterI fell in love with) where she discussed how she changed colors in her East Meets West to colors she liked, with help from a friend of hers who knew color substitution in knitting.

The technique involves taking black and white pictures of the colors you want to use to figure out color values and how it would affect the pattern.

Here’s the pattern’s original set of colors:

After a fun couple of hours playing with yarn and taking photos and rearranging, I decided to swap out the strap insert colors for colors I like better. For instance, the bright pink is a cute background in the bag, but I am not a bright pink kind of girl. I decided to replace it with the fuschia Palette yarn…not as bright, but it should contrast with the majestic (purple) about as well in the strap insertion.

Fuschia versus the original pink, ladyslipper (far right). The medium colors are richer than they appear in the photo. The two strands across the top are to decide what color I’d use for the flowers that cut across the stripes of fuchsia, french lavender, and aster in the bottom strap. I decided to use the majestic (looks blurple in photo) instead of the darker clematis heather original to the pattern. It is such a gorgeous purple I couldn’t put it down. Here the same pic is in black and white to see how the colors would play against each other.

So in February, we started. We have both had failures and successes. We both had to frog everything at least once. Toe finally casted hers back on using a bigger (and less sharp) needle.

When I first cast on this project, way back in 2010, I did the first 2 rows on a size one, sharp lace needle that was a little too short to handle so many stitches. I loved the bright yellow, called custard, with the navy blue yarn (jay), but something about the large sections of yellow on that sad needle didn’t work for me. It sat in  timeout for a while, and then I finally figured it wasn’t going to work so I frogged it.

This time, I started with a size 2. This is one of the few times in history I thought a size 3 needle would make too loose a fabric. lol.

Two other knitters joined us, and then we have a few people who volunteered to cheerlead us, which I LOVE!!! They have been doing a fabulous job!

Every now and then I get to a point where I’m not sure how to proceed, so I put it down for a while.

Here’s the most recent picture of it, just before I started the insert strap. I will ahve to take an update pic of that later. It doesn’t look like much, but it is 18 repeats around!

 

I will keep updating the blog with bits and pieces of what else I’ve been working on over the next couple of days.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s